Football season has officially kicked off and you’ll be hearing a lot about wide receivers needing to create separation from opposing defenses to get themselves open. Same applies in business…you have to put a little distance between you and your competitors so you can get out in front of them and make your breakaway.
So, how do you go about creating this separation from your competitors. Here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- What is the one thing that you do amazingly well? What makes you unique in the way that you do it? Are these 2 things stuck in the past or the way of the future?
- Who, specifically, is your target audience? Do they know you for the things you describe in your answers to the questions above?
- Who is your competition?
- What is your position on the ladder in this space?
- Does your competition know you exist?
- What are your competitors doing successfully/unsuccessfully?
Once you answer these questions, pick the one thing that makes you unique to your customers and separates you from your competitors, carve out this niche with your target audience…and then run a giant truck through it! It really isn’t much harder than that.